Although I keep a stock of topical lidocaine cream in the office refrigerator, I always suggest to eligible clients who have a regular doctor and pharm., to call their physician’s office secretary and request that they call in an Rx for EMLA Cream, or the generic version- NOT the ointment, which is greasy and takes longer to numb the skin- just the CREAM. One 30g tube will be enough to cover one procedure and the touchup. It is superior to the topical anesthetics that I can provide in that it is much more deeply penetrating, and longer lasting. Also, because it is a eutectic blend of both 2.5 % lidocaine and 2.5 % prilocaine, the two chemicals work synergistically together, making it unnecessary to have the higher concentrations of lidocaine, such as the 5 % lidocaine solutions sold through tattoo supply stores, which can be irritating and caustic- especially when used near the eye. EMLA cream, or it’s generic versions, is the safer and smarter choice for ensuring the most comfortable of permanent cosmetics experience.